In light of the recent terrorist attacks by ISIS and other terrorist groups, we at MCHK felt the necessary need to write this letter of peace to you all. The mass majority of people around the world witnessed the cowardly acts of violence that erupted in Paris, and every single rational individual and organisation, Muslim or Non-Muslim, has condemned it. These cruel and vile attacks have rightfully sent a shock wave through the world, though with this letter, we at MCHK would like to bring to the attention of the public certain paramount points which may have not reached you all.
We would like to take the opportunity to request the general public of Hong Kong not to be selective in our outrage. Just a day before Paris was attacked by ISIS, Beirut, the capital city of Lebanon, was also attacked and 44 people perished. Likewise, on the same day, Baghdad, the capital city of Iraq, was similarly bombed by ISIS and 17 people died at a wedding. This series of terrorist attacks have recently occurred in Nigeria too where 45 people have died thus far. Alongside these vile assaults, countries like Syria and Palestine are being indiscriminately attacked almost every single day for many years now. We ask the public to value every single innocent life. We ask the public to not turn a blind eye to events which are happening outside the Western world. We ask the public to judge a religion by its scriptures and not a small minority whose actions are far removed from the religion, for no religion teaches terrorism.
We would like to take this opportunity to also enlighten the public in regards to how not only has human life been made sacred in Islām but the property, wealth, family and dignity of all individuals in society are likewise to be respected and protected. We present to you just some of these teachings but do bear in mind that there’s plenty more of such gems:
- Whoever kills an innocent person, it is as if he has killed all of humanity [Qur’ān 5:32];
- Repelling evil with goodness to remove or diffuse hatred [Qur’ān 41:34];
- Judging matters with justice whether it’s with one’s family or even enemies [Qur’ān 4:135];
- Getting to know people of different backgrounds to eliminate despising [Qur’ān 49:13];
- Forcing anyone to change their beliefs is not permitted [Qur’ān 2:256];
- Making things easy for people and making people happy [Muhammad PBUH – Abu Dawud];
- No mercy to people will mean no mercy from Allāh, God Almighty [Muhammad PBUH – Bukhari];
- Loving for others what you love for yourselves [Muhammad PBUH – Bukhari];
- No person is better than another person except in piousness [Muhammad PBUH – Ahmed]
Any human being who endeavours to follow such beautiful teachings will naturally strive to be a citizen who is law-abiding, cooperative with law enforcement at any point and above all clears any sort of misconceptions. We, at MCHK, do just that. We hold monthly street events in Hong Kong promoting the true message of Islām whilst wholeheartedly always welcoming queries from Non-Muslims.
We humbly urge all communities to stand firm with compassion and solidarity for all acts of violence upon innocents in every single land. We must not let these terrorists from any part of the world divide us.
Let us not play into their evil narrative, and instead show them that people of all faiths and backgrounds can live peacefully together. Our thoughts and prayers are, and should be, with everyone.
You can read the corresponding SCMP news article here.